Piano Lessons for Adults
“People usually complain that music is so ambiguous; that it is so doubtful what they ought to think when they hear it; whereas everyone understands words. With me it is entirely the converse. And not only with regard to an entire speech, but also with individual words; these, too, seem to me to be so ambiguous, so vague, and so easily misunderstood in comparison with genuine music, which fills the soul with a thousand things better than words. The thoughts which are expressed to me by a piece of music which I love are not too indefinite to be put into words, but on the contrary too definite. And so I find, in every attempt to express such thoughts, that something is right, but at the same time something is unsatisfying in all of them…”
Mendelssohn in a Letter to Marc André Souchay; Berlin, 5 October 1842
Numerous adult pupils ranging from complete beginners to music professionals have been taught here. Many of them have been prepared for various kinds of performances, have won competition prizes, passed exams with distinctions etc.
Adult pupils will:
- Develop a fulfilling hobby
- Or prepare for further professional opportunities
- Be encouraged to embark on a musical journey of discovery
- Learn to listen to music
- Learn or improve their reading skills
- Discover that music theory can be fascinating
- Acquire a healthy technique or solve existing technical problems and develop further
- Learn to develop or expand their performance repertoire
- Benefit from video recordings as performance practice in lessons (only with pupils' consent)
- Learn to develop a rich and varied sound
- Learn to organise their practice and reach their goals
- Develop confidence and learn to be free from anxiety
- Be encouraged (but without force!) to participate in Piano Hours which provide a friendly non-competitive non-public performance environment in which pupils not only play themselves but also learn to formulate constructive critical feedback to help others; pupils often make friends with each other and tea/coffee/cake are always provided
- Be able to prepare for further performance opportunities, exams, festivals, competitions etc if they wish
- Have access to a lending library
Please check the pages for Beginners and Advanced Pupils as well as the News for more information on lessons, events etc.
In addition, some articles may be of interest:
BBC: Adult Piano Lessons: Never Too Late to Learn?
Piano Lessons London | Online Lessons | NHS Offer | COVID-19 | Piano Teacher | About Lessons | Location | FAQ | Performance | News | Media | Links | Reviews | Policy | Blog | Contact